Sunday, June 1, 2008

June 1st, 2008 (2009)


A year from today I'll be starting my cross country bike trip from Anacortes, Washington, to Bar Harbor, Maine. I've been thinking about doing this trip for 12 years and decided finally to do it the year I turn 65. I'll be taking the Northern Tier route mapped by the Adventure Cycling Association. I'll cross Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ontairo Canada, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.

I plan to stay mostly in motels but will be taking along a tent and sleeping bag just in case. If anyone wants to join me for all of the trip or part of it you're more than welcome.

Just thinking about it now scares me. But it's now or never. Here's a photo of my Surly Long Haul Trucker with Arkel panniers, handle bar bag, and Tail Rider. I've got to load it up one day soon and start riding it as well as doing some weekend overnight trips.

I post the route map later this week and continue to add more details.

3 comments:

Sandy M said...

You're doing WHAT? Holy Moly. Sounds like a blast--

OldOnliner said...

So you are going! Excellent!

I suppose there will be even more stuff secured on top of the rear pannier for the X-country trip? Like tent, ground cloth, cold-weather gear and such?

iNikon said...

I'm planning on putting everything in my panniers, handlebar bag, and the Arkel Tailrider; tent, sleeping bag, ground cloth, all my clothes, small tripod,SLR digital camera, second lens, ASUS EeePC, cell phone, Garmin GPS, and even a kitchen sink! ;-)